[mythtv-users] Compiling with --disable-mythlogserver, logrotate, and HUP signal?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 15:27:28 UTC 2013

When I recently upgraded to 0.27 I used the --disable-mythlogserver
option by modifying the current Gentoo ebuild to add that option.

I just noticed today that my backend was currently writing it's log to
the file name from the last logrotate, in this case it was
/var/log/mythtv/old/mythbackend.20131213163424.1223.log.1.

The logrotate config I'm using is much like the one that was packaged
with Gentoo before mythlogserver:

/var/log/mythtv/*.log {
    weekly
    rotate 8
    nocompress
    nocreate
    notifempty
    sharedscripts
    missingok
    olddir /var/log/mythtv/old
    postrotate
#        killall -HUP mythfrontend
        killall -HUP mythbackend
 #       killall -HUP mythlcdserver
        find /var/log/mythtv/old -type f -mtime +30 -delete
    endscript
}

I tried manually sending the HUP signal to the mythbackend process and
it did nothing.  Does that no longer cause the files to be reopened as
it did in 0.25 when mythlogserver is disabled?  If so, is there some
other way to handle logrotate?

Thanks
Tom