[mythtv-users] Mythweb - PHP Fatal Error

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 02:21:05 UTC 2013

On 12/23/13, 8:46 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 12/23/2013 07:01 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> AAAAUUUGH! After wasting at least two hours on this, it turned out
>>> to be
>>> &*#(@=)Z#!B!&$+!  selinux. I routinely turn this off to avoid exactly
>>> this kind of mostly silent failure, but I forgot to do that on this
>>> install. Now that selinux is set to disabled, all is well. Thanks guys
>>> for your help.
>>>
>>> --Greg
>>>

>> OMG...don't even get me started on that thing.  Over the years I've
>> come to believe that the sole purpose of selinux is to make you feel
>> guilty that you "should" be running it but can't because it
>> mysteriously breaks stuff in a way that can only be fixed by someone
>> with a PHD in selinux :D.  One of my first experiences with it many
>> years ago was when for no reason (with a perfectly configured apache)
>> it would only allow php scripts to run in the root or the web server
>> but NOT in any sub-directories.  From what I recall (though I try not
>> to) debugging it will about make you run into the distance crying for
>> a sendmail.cf file to play with...
>
> From what I remember, SELinux was invented by NSA to improve the level
> of security by making it more granular that standard Unix. Of course,
> Edward Snowden is a perfect example of how well that works! Once
> someone has the administrative password, all bets are off.
>
> Larry

It was part of an NSA project to educate programmers about how to write
a trusted operating system. Can't recall which contractor handled it
back then.
The end result was more like a program designed to generate the most
profanity possible in the shortest amount of time possible.  ;)

http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/index.shtml

Now, it'll be baking my noodle all night remembering what outfit
contracted to work on SELinux. I was on the mailing list for it back
when it was still all shiny and new.