[mythtv-users] Stuttering on some mpg files (PrebufferEnoughFrames)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Dec 23 10:41:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 03:02:33 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just went back to look at a series I had lossless cut back in the time
>> when some of us were running the .25 mythttranscode under .26.  (Now
>> running .27 fixes)
>>
>> I noticed that a few of my mpeg files were stuttering like a car on a
>> bumpy road, filling up he logs with:
>>
>> Dec 21 20:58:28 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[28393]: N
>> CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2130 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(7): Waited
>> 203ms for video buffers AAAAdDALAdAAAA
>> Dec 21 20:58:28 buster mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[28393]: N
>> CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2130 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(7): Waited
>> 306ms for video buffers AAAAdDALAdAAAA
>>

>Ok...I forgot that the files in question are on an USB external drive. But
>I thought I read here that some are using them for older file storage. Are
>there any settings I should be checking to see that I'm getting the correct
>data transfer speed?

To see if it is the USB drive that is the problem, just try moving one
of the problem files to a storage group that is on a SATA drive.
MythTV checks all storage groups to find the files, so you can move
recording files freely between storage group locations.  Use the I key
twice and scroll down to see the file name for any recording.

USB 2 drives are pretty slow, but should be fast enough to play back
any recording as long as the drive is not busy doing something else at
the same time.