[mythtv-users] one frontend to multiple TVs, changing audio

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Dec 21 17:41:22 UTC 2013

On 12/21/2013 10:44 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> I have never tried to run two copies of mythfrontend at the
> same time.

It can be done, but as with any multi-seat implementation of Linux, it's
going to be clumsy.  If you're going to be using a remote, you either
need a different type of remote for each TV, or will need to run
independent lircd daemons for each TV.  If you're going to be using a
point device, you need separate X servers, either as nested X servers
bound to one common server on a multi-head card, or ideally, a dedicated
graphics card for each X server.

> There does not seem to be any option on the mythfrontend
> command line to specify a different config.xml file.

No, but you can specify a configuration path. The configuration path is
set by MYTHCONFDIR, if defined, falling back to HOME/.mythtv otherwise.
Both of these are pulled from the environment, so both of these can be
configured in the environment prior to running mythfrontend. The
config.xml is always pulled from the base of that path.

All configuration is stored in the database, indexed by a profile name
that defaults to the machine's hostname. If using multiple independent
configurations on a single machine, one _must_ define a custom profile
name for each using the <LocalHostName> element.