[mythtv-users] HD Ringbuffer - recommended size?

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 20 09:19:05 UTC 2013

> From: joe at thefrys.com
> Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 02:06:25 -0500
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD Ringbuffer - recommended size?

> Is there some performance issue that your trying to resolve?

(Try not to laugh too loud when I explain what I am doing....)

Essentially - yes there is a performance issue. I am trying to track down why my transcodes (FIFO) keep failing (without error). The basics are (I think) that mythtranscode thinks that it has reached the end of the file when it hasn't. It may do that only 1000 frames into the recording, or never. It is inconsistent. I have one recording (say 2hrs long) that has failed everywhere from 5minutes in from the start through to 5min from the end and never completed once in some 20 attempts (Although most recordings succeed in less than 3 attempts and 75% succeed first time).

So essentially I am trying to work out why mythtranscode thinks it has reached end of file.

In the logs I am trawling through I saw the following line:

  RingBuf(/media/fs2/recordings/1099_20131219105700.mpg): Created readAheadBuffer: 4Mb

So I wondered whether that was linked to the value "HD Ringbuffer" in mythtv-setup.

When I get some time between recordings and can stop the backend for a bit I'll change the value and see what happens but figured if someone knew more about it that might be very useful as well.