[mythtv-users] HD Ringbuffer - recommended size?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Dec 20 07:13:24 UTC 2013

>> I've done a little bit of reading on the HD Ringbuffer setting but some of
>> it is very old so not sure it is accurate. Some of it seemed to indicate
>> that it was only used on Live TV.
>
> Yes, that is very old stuff... no ringbuffer anymore.
>
>> Is the Ringbuffer setting still used in fixes/0.27? Just on LiveTV or
>> elsewhere (ie playback or transcoding)?
>
> Not used... instead it just records the shows consecutively when
> watching live tv.  Causes a bit of a hiccup between shows, but it's
> negligible, and made Live TV MUCH more user friendly.
>
>> If I have 4Gb system memory, similar sized swap partition on SSD and
>> database on SSD is there any benefit to setting it to a larger value
>> (currently 4Mb I think)?
>
> Larger value of what?  Swap?  You only need swap if your system is
> swapping... odds are it's not with 4GB of RAM.
>
> Is there some performance issue that your trying to resolve?

Oh... I just remembered that there is/was an HD RingBuffer setting...
I've never had to tweak it though.  All it does is act as memory cache
for recordings in the event other system IO blocks myth from writing
the stream to disk.  Unless your having IO issues you shouldn't need
to change it.  The only time I would expect to see IO issues is if
your doing some disk intensive stuff that has a higher IO priority...
which is pretty rare.  Honestly, I'm not sure why they even have that
setting there, if it still is, I have never heard of anyone using it
for anything.