[mythtv-users] Moving frontend/backend to a new machine

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Dec 19 19:36:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2013 12:52 PM, Matthias Thyroff wrote:

> >> ...oops, somehow I managed to send that before it was done.  Picking
> >> up where I left off...
> >>
> >> was for access to the mysql database.  Is this a factor in moving
> >> things to the new computer?  I don't see it mentioned on the database
> >> migration page, but I admit moving this makes me a little nervous (I
> >> am not what I would call a power user), so I  would just like to
> >> verify before I start.
> >>
> >> BTW, if anyone knows of an alternate guide to doing this please pass
> >> it along.  I often find having more than one perspective on doing
> >> something helps.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jon
> > Hello Jon,
> >
> > I have moved my backend many times already from one machine to the
> > next one... starting on a PII, Athlon, Athlon X2, and now I am on an
> > ivy bridge celeron, I think, always complete with the underlaying
> > linux installation, either just taking the hard disk to the new
> > computer or copying the whole system to to a new disk (there are
> > instructions on the internet to do that, you might have to boot from a
> > CD to reconfigure grub). This saved me from reconfiguring, not only
> > myth, but also the web server, the mail system, the users, the cloud,
> > the pbx (at that time)...
> >
> > This is also why I am still running 32bit on 64bit hardware, but I do
> > not see the need to change to 64bit at all (maybe a tiny little
> > technology itch, but I can live in peace with that.)
> >
> > That is one of the great things about linux: Changing the platform
> > does not mean automatically that you have to reinstall. It is quite
> > cool to see the old installation booting the first time on new hardware.
> >
> > It sometimes needs some tweaking, removing old network adaptors,
> > tweaking powersaving, minor things that you have to tweak manually
> > anyway.
> >
> > And when everything is running, you still should go and recover your
> > passwords, maybe.
> >
> > Good luck and fun for your holidays project!
> >
> > Matthias
>
> I've copied the entire /root/.mythtv directory and the
> entire /var/lib/mysql directory over (perhaps not the best practice, but
> it has worked well) to the remote host.

Don't do that. The fact that it worked just means you've been lucky.

>  You could always do a mysqldump
> mythconverg > mythconverg.sql, copy the file over to the new host and
> run mysql < /root/mythconverg,

Don't do that either. You should use the mythconverg_backup.pl and
mythconverg_restore.pl scripts (in the /usr/share/mythtv directory in most
distros) to ensure you get the correct command line switches to avoid a
corrupted database.

Karl