[mythtv-users] Video jitter possibly cased by low cpu usage

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 07:13:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Marius Schrecker
<marius.schrecker at lyse.net> wrote:
> The only things I don't uinderstand is why I should notice a further improvement when raising both cores

Unless you are setting process processor affinity, any process
might get dispatched onto any processor.  If one processor is
running slower, and that is where MythTV gets dispatched....

Process affinity is an advanced topic, but can produce
dramatic benefits (or really bad results) depending on your
specific workload (and tuning).

Note that Linux has had "soft" affinity since (I think) 2.5.
That means that once a process is dispatched on a processor,
it will tend to stay on that processor, but only until "something
happens" to cause it to change to another (where it will tend
to stay for some period).