[mythtv-users] Computer hangs with "Please wait..." when playing recordings or watching TV

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Dec 18 21:10:48 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 03:19 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2013, at 12:03, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
>
>> If you get in via SSH, can you do a "pkill -9 mythfrontend"? (-TERM may
>> or may not work, -9 is like yanking the carpet out from underneath it)
> Don't use -9.  Unless your using some special code specific to you particular POSIX blend, always use the aliased terms.  Specifically, you want -KILL.

As with nearly all systems out there, there are multiple ways to do the
same thing.  -KILL is mapped to -9 on most unix variants.  Basic rule of
thumb: use whatever works understanding the consequences of what is
being done.  YMMV, of course.

Personally, I avoid the obfuscation of aliases.  However, my meager
recommendation is to send -TERM (aka -15 on most unix systems) first to
see if the program will exit nicely before taking out the shotgun and
really killing it off.

However, back to the original topic.. I've seen a higher frequency of
the "Please Wait..." on the front end systems (it's actually kind of
nice to have that, vs the blank screen in the past.. there was a period
where I swore I was getting a countdown image at one point).  Since
0.25, I started getting a 15 second delay between selecting a recording
and when it started playing.  I haven't clocked it since I just rebuilt
my backend with newer (not new, just newER) hardware.

-Rich