[mythtv-users] Computer hangs with "Please wait..." when playing recordings or watching TV

Enno Middelberg enno.middelberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 18:39:43 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have set up a new system (Linux Mint 16 Petra 32 bit, kernel
3.11.0-12) with the distro's MythTV version
0.27.0+fixes.20130919.5b917e8-0ubuntu1. During setup things seemed to
work fine, but now I can't watch TV or play recordings any more. After
selecting either I get a black screen with the message "Please
wait..." and the computer hangs. I have to reset it.

The logs are a mystery to me. There seems to be no hint whatsoever
what went wrong. I have done a

mythfrontend -v most --loglevel=debug > frontend.log

which can be viewed here: http://notepad.cc/mythfrontend, and the
relevant part of mythbackend.log is here:
http://notepad.cc/mythbackend

I once deleted the DVB-S card and set it up again and then was able to
watch TV/recordings, but only until I restarted the computer, then
nothing worked again.

I should note that before setting up the new system I was using Linux
Mint Debian edition (kernel 3.2.something) and MythTV 0.26, and I had
the same problem, but only occasionally, and only when watching
recordings. This might point to a hardware-related issue, but I am
unsure.

Googling the phenomenon didn't yield any conclusive results. Any
feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Enno