[mythtv-users] VBI/Closed Captions with HD-PVR

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 00:09:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Bob <mythtv at cox.net> wrote:

> I have been hoping to use this technique for a while:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Captions_With_HD_PVR
>
> I recently upgraded my system to use a 3.6.7 kernel, but it appears my
> hardware/driver combination does not support VBI. I've tried my HVR-1250,
> HVR-2250, and HVR-950Q. I do not any any spare PCI slots to use a PVR-500
> or PVR-150.
>
> Has anyone on the list been able to get this to work with aa HVR-1250,
> HVR-2250, or HVR-950Q?

I have not had the time to prefect it, but yes, I have it generally working
with a HVR-2250.  The trick is to use zvbi2raw with ccextractor:

https://github.com/codeman38/zvbi2raw
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ccextractor/

I will attach the scripts I am using to make it work.  I use udev rules
such that my  hvr-2250 gets mapped something like:

/dev/hvr2250_1 -> video3
/dev/hvr2250_2 -> video2
/dev/hvr2250_vbi_1 -> vbi1
/dev/hvr2250_vbi_2 -> vbi0

The attached scripts assume that the first HD-PVR will
use /dev/hvr2250_vbi_1 and the second will use /dev/hvr2250_vbi_2.

One issue that I have not had time to solve, is 'special' characters, like
music symbols.  They just show up as a '?'.  So, your task is to solve that
part of the equation ;-)

John