[mythtv-users] channel icons: mythtv-setup replaces installed png with jpg, almost

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 00:33:11 UTC 2013

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:07:11 -0600
Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/15/2013 05:49 AM, blind Pete wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure what is supposed to happen, but I don't think that it
> > is this.
> >
> > Using Mythbuntu 12.04.3, 0.27+fixes.
> >
> > I installed four different colored sets of Frogman Australian
> > TV icons in four different places - to sort out my personal
> > confusion.
> >
> > /etc/mythtv/channels/ and /root/.mythtv/channels/ appear to
> > be not used.
> >
> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/ is used when you press "i" a
> > couple of times during liveTV, to show information.
>
> It's used for everything now. Unless your distribution runs as
> some other user, alters $HOME and or $MYTHCONFDIR or uses links
> to some other directory.

It is always possible that I have accidentally miss-configured
things myself, or that my current system has inherited old no
longer appropriate settings, but as far as I can tell I am
running the closest thing Mythtv has to an official distribution.

Is this an appropriate place to talk about possible bugs
in Mythbuntu?

[cut-n-paste]
psd at PPlive:/home/mythtv$ sudo -u mythtv echo $HOME
/home/psd
psd at PPlive:/home/mythtv$ sudo -u mythtv echo $MYTHCONFDIR

psd at PPlive:/home/mythtv$ sudo grep -ilr psd .
./.mythtv/tmp/mythtv_video_test_SD_6000Kbps_H264.mkv
grep: ./.pulse/dc7693e1190b0b170432be0200000009-runtime: No such file
or directory
psd at PPlive:/home/mythtv$
[\cut-n-paste]

Apparently my system is miss-configured.  Do I fix it, or report
a bug?

> > /home/<user>/.mythtv/channels/ is used almost everywhere else.
> >
> > All of that is just background information.  Frogman missed
> > a couple of icons, so I went to mythtv-setup to download
> > the missing icons even though they were not going to match.
> >
> > For each channel that mythtv-setup thought that there was
> > an official jpg it downloaded the jpg, ignored the previously
> > satisfactory Frogman png, and declined to display either.
> >
> > Now what?  Have I seriously misunderstood how this is
> > supposed to work, or have I found a couple of bugs?
>
> Remember that mythtv-setup not only changes things in the DB, but also
> writes some files, so it should always be run as the same user that
> runs mythbackend,
>
>      sudo -u mythtv mythtv-setup

Using Mythbuntu, a pop up dialog box asks for a password.
If it is not writing files as the correct user that is
a bug in Mythbuntu.

> might help (your distribution may use a different method.) That will
> correctly put your icons under ~mythtv/.mythtv/channels.
>
> 16 minutes after your post, there was an entry on the commits mailing
> list:
>
>      http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/commit/?id=fa5599d

Usually I complain about problems a day after they are fixed,
rather than an hour before.  Not that I can tell how relevant
that commit is.

--
testing
bP