[mythtv-users] Will the builtin player play MKVs these days?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Dec 13 14:00:36 UTC 2013

On 12/12/13, 6:47 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> I had this comment from Michael Stucky in July, after I had added his
> suggested mkv output option to my mythDVBcut script to enable it to
> cut HD mpeg recordings, with which the mplex remuxer apparently failed.
>> I should have mentioned above, once the file is in an MKV container
>> it is no longer in a format that MythTV considers a "recording". In
>> other words, it is not editable or seekable as a recording. You need
>> to use "mythexport" or some other script like that to move it to your
>> MythTV Video library where you can play, fastforward, rewind, etc. as
>> you would any imported video.
> Is that still true?
Not entirely. I have converted a large number of recordings to MKV and
the ability to skip/fast forward/rewind/bookmark/etc. is still
available. It's just necessary to run "mythcommflag --rebuild" on the
file after the change, to rebuild the seektable.

However, despite having done this, my attempts to edit these recordings
with the built-in editor result in a complaint that there is no
seektable. I've been using avidemux to cut commercials, instead.