[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 12 20:47:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 03:36:50PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 03:26 PM, Mark Pennock wrote:
> >When I do a "sudo cat /dev/video0 > test.ts" the result is in 16:9
> >format, not 4:3.
> >

> If you're saying that when you play back a recording using MythTV it
> displays as if it's 4:3 (whether you record it using MythTV or cat)
> but when you play it using another media player/system, it's 16:9
> (whether you record it using MythTV or cat), that means you've
> either set a "Video Aspect Override" in MythTV that tells it to
> treat all video as if it's 4:3, regardless of what the video says
> (and, FWIW, there is no reason anyone in the world should ever set
> the Video Aspect Override setting--except for the
> never-gonna-exist-in-reality person who has 100% of all video
> sources providing incorrectly-encoded video that gives the wrong
> aspect ratio information), or you've misconfigured X such that it's
> telling MythTV the display is using some incorrect aspect.

    MythTV is just taking whatever the HDPVR wants to send it. You
can take a look at your recordings files directly and see what sort
of aspect ratio they are supposed to be in. You can play them with
any other video player. They're just MPEG2 containers.

    mediainfo will give you a nicely formated easy to read summary
of what's in your recording files.