[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun - Comcast shut off clear QAM

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 12 16:45:36 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>

> > Oh, my. I had no *idea* VDPAU was that sloppy. Crap, and I just
> > bought a new NV card. <sigh>
>
> It's not that VDPAU is sloppy, it's just that they can only code it to
> work with any examples they can get hold of.
>
> It is obvious that although there are allegedly TV "standards" the variation
> possible inside those standards is so broad that examples will surface that no
> amount of existing coding can possibly deal with.
>
> The broadcasters don't care -- the TVs display them alright, don't
> they? Must be *your* problem, then.
>
> The fact that VDPAU can't handle everything thrown at it is no
> different than what happens with ffmpeg

I disagree with that assertion.

It is clear that there must *in fact* be an implementable baseline for MPEG
decoding which *could* be baked into VDPAU *or the television sets wouldn't
be able to do it either*, no?

I note that we don't have lots of people bitching about "my TV can't receive
this particular broadcast show; it says 'undecodable stream'"... and I am
therefore forced to conclude that it is *practically* possible to create a
*commercial licensed* hardware decoder which is as close to 100.0% capable
as makes no difference.

That being the case, why hasn't NVidia done so?

I can understand FFMPEG having to chase the standard around a little... but
I'm not sure when the last time was that I came across, for example, an MPEG
file that MPlayer2 couldn't decode on its own.

So this stuff really should not be rocket surgery to NVidia, to the extent
that people are suggesting to me that it's ok to accept.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Make Election Day a federal holiday: http://wh.gov/lBm94  100k sigs by 12/14