[mythtv-users] How to transcode to SD within mythtv - system too slow to play HD

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Dec 10 02:20:46 UTC 2013

On 12/09/13 22:01, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> > ...  If they have a waiver to encrypt content for the
>> > mini-boxes
> As I read the ruling, all the providers can choose to encrypt
> everything (with no further requests/waivers needed to proceed)
> as long as they agree to the requirements (which involves,
> among other things, completing analog reclamation (all
> digital service), and offering "free" converter boxes for a
> period of time if you are one of the top few providers)).  For
> many of the top providers, it is those two requirements
> (and their capital costs) that have delayed encryption of
> basic, not any pending waiver request.

The only encryption allowed on cable networks is the CableCard modular
access system.  That modular system is expensive to implement in
hardware, rather than the cheap DES "privacy mode" available on the
mini-boxes.  They cannot enable privacy mode, and encrypt the content
going to those mini-boxes, without a waiver.