[mythtv-users] Playing an audio optical disc

Vincent McIntyre vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 09:57:18 UTC 2013

Hi

I have a combined fe/be running  ubuntu 12.04/amd64 +  0.26/fixes (up to date).

I have a question about optical_menu.xml. It has an entry for playing a DVD,
but not for playing a CD. Why is that?

I understand that CDs can be ripped and played back via mythmusic but
sometimes that is not what is desired - for example if someone brings
a CD over so they can play it for me. This is the usecase that
prompted me to post.

In the frontend settings (Settings->Media Settings->Music
Settings->Player Settings) I have both "Automatically lookup CDs "and
"Automatically Play CDs" ticked.
The help text in those settings pages gives me to understand that when
I put a disc in,
the tracks should be added to the playlist. Is that correct?

I gave it a try - insert disc, navigate Media Library->Listen to Music
and myth starts to play the current playlist. I also get a popup from
ubuntu saying 'Unable to mount audio disc' followed by 'Location is
not mountable'. The cdrom tracks don't show in the playlist.

The device permissions look ok, group-read/write for the 'cdrom' group
and the frontend user is in that user group. I thought I had disabled
all the automounting stuff in the desktop, so that it would not
interfere with myth.  The desktop is xfce4, started via lightdm.
Now that I look the 'thunar' file manager is running.

I poked around the wiki but could not find much help there.

I experimented with adding a menu entry that tries to call xfreecd (to
get a gui interface) but that just seemed to wedge the frontend - it
became unresponsive to the remote and I had to ssh in and kill the
frontend. There did not appear to be any xfreecd process running. This
is what I tried:
    <button>
        <type>LAUNCH_XFREECD</type>
        <text>Play Audio Disc</text>
        <description>Play audio on CD-ROM</description>
        <action>EXEC /usr/bin/xfreecd</action>
    </button>

I would welcome suggestions and/or some description of what the
expected behaviour is.
Cheers
Vince