[mythtv-users] Lirc and Debian

william otten williammotten at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 03:31:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:

> On 2013-12-05, at 5:22 PM, william otten wrote:
>
> I used the same process with debian but lirc isn't working. I found out by
> accident that when I restarted lirc using sudo /etc/init.d/lirc
> restart...that lirc fails on both stopping and restarting.
> I found a work around in getting lirc to work while searching for an
> answer to the failure issue...
> sudo /usr/sbin/lircd --output=/dev/lircd --driver=atilibusb
> I start this after the computer is up and it continues to run until I
> reboot.
>

> Just curious, what do you have in your /etc/hardware.conf? It should
> contain at least:
>
> DRIVER=atilibusb
> DEVICE=/dev/lircd
>
> which would make it equivalent to your command line. The other possibility
> is it’s starting too early but I doubt it. At the top of /etc/init.d/lirc
> do you have the required start line with remote_fs and syslog? Finally, try
> grep lirc /var/log/daemon.log to see if anything interesting is said during
> startup.
>
> - George

> The hardware.conf file was the key. My old habit of replacing the
hardware.conf after installing lirc with ubuntu distro's lirc hurt me here.
The ubuntu copy was different from the debian hardware.conf. Long story
short...I put back the original debian hardware.conf and added the:
DRIVER=atilibusb
DEVICE=/dev/lircd
Lirc is working correctly and thanks for the help!