[mythtv-users] Really frustrated trying setup MythTV

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 4 23:17:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 14:19:49 -0000, Jason Ward <JasonFWard at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> mythtv_setup does generate the xml config files in the users folder.
>> Did you run it as the user? You should move (or symlink)  them to
>> /home/>mythtv/.mythtv/ for mythfilldatabase to find.
>Yeah, after much thought I realised some of my issue come from running
> things via VNC (not a surprise as its part of the Mythbunutu install)
> >but I have no idea what the mythtv login's password is (or even if it
> has one) and so have no way to use that login in VNC.  Either I've
> missed >something crucial here, or this seems like an oversight on the
> part of Mythubuntu devs.

Apologies. I didn't mean to imply that you had 'done it wrong'; merely
(clumsily) trying to illustrate why the files are generated in the 'wrong'
place. I believe the mythtv user isn't set up for login/shell etc. and it
is normal to run mythtv-setup as the user.
However the more I look at it, the less I can explain why this is so:
mythfilldatabase definitely needs the config file in mythtv's home, the
wiki states it should be in the user's home and the archives only seem to
confuse the question with cronjobs.

>> Note that the EIT data & XMLTV data will conflict/overwrite each other
>> so you shouldn't use both at the same time. You should turn EIT off for
>> >now (mythtv-setup/Video source).
>Ah, OK, I assumed from something I read that the EIT was now used to
> update data gathered elsewhere, I will switch it off, especially as I
> know >see I have to use different channel numbers and stuff in order to
> integrate Freeveiw and Freesat feeds.
>Jason

Also be aware that XMLTV only provides TV data and not radio. If you want
radio channel guide data you'll have to re-enable the EIT for them but
turn it off on all the TV channels (mythtv-setup/Edit Channels or MythWeb)

I referenced Freeview/Freeview HD before because you said your tuners were
DVB-T/DVB-T2. If you have FreeSat HD then you'll actually have a DVB-S2
tuner. Never tried it myself but I would have thought that you wanted
identical channel numbers & callsigns on both sources so that Myth knows
the same channel is coming from 2 different places.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO#Stations.2C_Channels_and_Video_Sources

Others will be able to advise you better - start a new thread with an
appropriate title - but here's something to be going on with. Pay special
attention to mtdean's (Mike Dean) point that channel priorities have
changed in 0.27, so some archive comments are out of date.

One thing I will add is that both Freeview & Freesat require
periodic/frequent re-tuning as well as co-ordination, so it will be well
worth the effort  to establish some sort of process to manage callsigns,
xmltvids etc. There's plenty of solutions about but mythupchuk works well
for me.