[mythtv-users] MythTV for Http Live Streaming

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Dec 4 22:46:48 UTC 2013

On 04.12.2013 23:21, John Q wrote:
> I am new to MythTV. I want to use it for Http Live Streaming.
> I am interested in streaming my webcam live using HLS. The webcam is
> connected to a windows 7 64-bit desktop machine which is behind a home
> LAN connected to the internet via ADSL. Instead of streaming directly
> from the windows desktop, I want copy the M3U8 and MPEG-2 TS files to a
> web server located in a data center in another city. This is mainly due
> to bandwidth considerations as I cannot serve multiple simultaneous
> connections from my desktop.
> So far so good. But for this I will have to continuously copy files to
> the server.
> If possible, I would like to avoid copying the files continuously to the
> server and instead produce TS and M3U8 files directly on the server.

MythTV is not the solution to your problem.

If I understand correctly you want to only upload the video stream over
your home connection while someone is watching the stream from the
datacenter server. And if multiple people watch it you only want to
upload it once.

My suggestion is to "simply" setup ffmpeg on your windows pc and a
caching reverse http proxy on your webhost
http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=914

That's the simplest solution and should work well if you only want to
offer one quality.

Regards,
Karl