[mythtv-users] Sluggish watch recordings list after 0.27 upgrade.

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 18:35:03 UTC 2013

<bryan.bennetts at gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've upgraded to mythbuntu 13.10/mythtv 0.27 and am now finding that one
> > of my frontend's Watch Recordings view is somewhat sluggish.
> >
> > That machine is a Acer Revo 3700 (with 4G of ram IIRC) so not hugely
> > over-powered but on 0.26 there was no perceivable issue.  I have tried
> > creating my own MythBuntu theme with the fanart turned off, but that has
> > not improved performance.
> >
> > It *seems* to be related to the length of the episodes list as when
> > scrolling down the left hand panel it is noticably faster for, say, films
> > (split second scrolling) than children's programs (of which we have
> > plenty,
> > can take a good 3-4 seconds to populate the right hand panel).  This
> > implies that the menu *may* be doing an operation per episode.
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts on how to diagnose/resolve this?
>
> I have this same issue on my ION frontends.  I believe it has to do with a
> 0.27 change where the frontend now asks the backend to generate preview
> images at full resolution before scaling locally to the theme-specified
> resolution, instead of generating smaller preview images on the backend
> which are rescaled again on the frontend.

The scaling is done in a background thread, therefore wouldn't affect
responsiveness unless threading wasn't enabled. Moreover, since the preview
image is cached locally after scaling, it wouldn't affect scrolling through the
list unless there were always new recordings which required new preview
images. Which isn't to say that the issue isn't preview related somehow, just
that it's not related to the scaling.

--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV