[mythtv-users] Upgrade MythBuntu from 0.25 fixes to 0.27

Zig jzigpublic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 21:06:23 UTC 2013

On 12/2/2013 12:08 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Mark Pennock <markitman2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You have to upgrade to 0.26 first, and then to 0.27 so that your database
>> can be upgraded twice.
> I do not believe this is true (if you are still on 0.21 or earlier
> you need to perform special work due to removal of some
> upgrade support for those versions), but it *is* a good idea
> to read the 0.26 release notes, and the 0.27 release notes
> in order to pick up actions you will need to (manually)
> perform.  In particular, you will need to add timezone
> support to your mysql instance.
>
> Basically, just follow the steps in the wiki at:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration

Gary is correct.  You can go directly from 0.25 to 0.27.
Always a good idea to backup everything first.  Then stop the frontend.
It's probably best to stop the backend too, although the upgrades
scripts seem to do that for you if you didn't.

If you originally installed from a Mythbuntu iso then you can use
Mythbuntu-Control-Centre to select the 0.27 repository.  If, when you
then go to the "update manager" and select "install", it offers you a
"partial upgrade" or informs you that "packages are being held back",
you should decline and cancel out of the "update manager" and open up a
"terminal" session.

At the command line do:
sudo apt-get update
and then do a simulation of the upgrade with:
sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
If everything looks ok from the simulation, go ahead and do the upgrade
for real with:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
after the upgrade is done start "mythtv backend setup" first.  This will
update the database schema.
When that's finished, start the frontend and it will update itself, and
that should do it.

Some of the above procedure is outlined at the second to the last bullet
near the bottom of:
http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos

There is no need to add timezone support to mysql, as the Mythbuntu
upgrade scripts take care of that too.  In my case it was all quite
painless.
Ziggy