[mythtv-users] Really frustrated trying setup MythTV

Zig jzigpublic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 23:36:23 UTC 2013

On 12/1/2013 5:07 PM, Jason Ward wrote:
> So, despite 3 years more experience of Linux under my belt, I still find
> MythTV bizarrely hard to setup.
>
> I won't go into the trials and tribulations I've been through to get
> where I currently am, but it has been a long and frustrating road.
>
> Right now, as best as I can tell my back end is not downloading
> schedules from The Radio Times, no idea why, I just see that "error 2"
> was reported.  Although schedules off the air appear to be working fine.
>
> I have questions about DVB-T and DVB-T2 tuners in the same backend, does
> the fact that one of the turners sees more channels than the other mean
> that I need to have 2 separate video sources, one for each type of
> tuner?
>
> Having installed the back end via fresh downloaded Mythbuntu ISO and use
> Myth-Control-Centre to switch to v0.27 is there a reason that Ubuntu
> Update Manager refuses to do the upgrade needed and I have install
> aptitude and manually force the upgrade to happen?
>
> I've installed the frontend on my main PC, but it kept installing the
> backend as well, I had to go into Myth-Control-Centre to explicitly
> switch to Frontend only, I can apparently connect to the backend with
> credentials asked for when the front end first runs, but I can see no
> data from the backend and I keep getting a an error overlay telling me
> that "mythcontext" could not contact the master backend.
>
> I have no idea what mythcontext is, how its setup or what it does, and
> Googling for information just led me to source code.
>
> All I want is have a frontend that I point at the backend and have just
> work, can someone give me any help with this task?
>
> Sorry guys and gals that I'm sure work hard and invest much time into
> MythTV, much as I know its a great system when it works, but I'm very
> frustrated after many hours of trying to make MythTV work it seems to me
> to be temperamental (it seems to work then it doesn't), needlessly
> delicate (little changes cause unrelated parts to fall over) and
> unrelentingly complex to setup.  If I had the skills myself, or the
> money to pay for someone else’s skills, I would I would be investing
> into the "just make it work" category.
>
> Jason

I can speak to one of your problems.  After doing a fresh install from a
Mythbuntu iso there is no need to install "aptitude" to "manually force"
the upgrade from 0.25 to 0.27.

Yes, use Myth-Control-Center to select the 0.27 repository.  If, when
you then go to the "update manager" and select "install", it offers you
a "partial upgrade" or informs you that "packages are being held back",
you should decline and cancel out of the "update manager" and open up a
"terminal" session.

At the command line do:
sudo apt-get update
and then do:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The above procedure is outlined at the second to the last bullet near
the bottom of:
http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos

Just guessing here but perhaps doing a "manual forced" update with
aptitude has mucked some things up.?.

Ziggy