[mythtv-users] MiniMyth or PXE booting frontends on Mythbuntu

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 23:15:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 22:57:49 +0000
Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> >> For me it is "must" thing. I can manage whole system with one
> >> image file. Frontends boot from network without worries about disk
> >> failure, corrupted filesystem or unplanned system changes etc.
> >> Booting allways gets new, fresh image that works. So, frontend
> >> user has no way to hassle system. Also, I can't imagine myself to
> >> maintain all frontends os:es separately.

There is a hybrid way to do it, too.
Imagine you put a kernel and bootloader on a USB stick or flashcard, it
can be read only (squashfs for instance). You configure it to boot
with / on NFS. This eliminates need for PXE boot and you can
manage/upgrade all your frontends in one single NFS server. Which can
be your master BE.

--
Cheers, Saul