[mythtv-users] tmdb grabber switch to v3

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Dec 1 15:11:14 UTC 2013

On 12/01/13 02:10, IsmoT wrote:
>> What is the advantage of MiniMyth over PXE boot?
>
> For me it is "must" thing. I can manage whole system with one image
> file. Frontends boot from network without worries about disk failure,
> corrupted filesystem or unplanned system changes etc. Booting allways
> gets new, fresh image that works. So, frontend user has no way to
> hassle system. Also, I can't imagine myself to maintain all frontends
> os:es separately.

Booting off the network with no concern of disk failure is a basic
property shared by anything that boots over PXE, BootP, iSCSI, or ATAoE.
It's not a special trait of MiniMyth, hence Saul's question of what
makes MiniMyth better than other network boot solutions.

I'm not sure if this is still available but Ubuntu used to offer an LTSP
mechanism that would automatically build diskless frontends with an
optional, writable AUFS overlay. Each frontend would share a common base
image, and would differentiate in its overlay.

Personally, I use cloned iSCSI images. I have one base Gentoo image that
I maintain, with a couple custom init scripts. The image gets cloned
into one writable image for each frontend, and shared over iSCSI. On
first boot of a new image, the machines grab an overlay off NFS to
differentiate themselves, and reboot. On subsequent boots, they run just
like any normal Linux machine. If an image gets corrupted, I can just
delete that specific image, clone a new one, and start fresh. If an
update to the core image went bad, I still have several previous boot
images that I can roll back to.