[mythtv-users] Tuners in constant use, until I change the way backend starts

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Dec 1 11:00:40 UTC 2013

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 09:57:45 +0000, you wrote:

>On 29/11/13 10:01, David Watkins wrote:
>>

>>     I did read of this issues, but mine still comes up with tuners
>>     busy after I have stopped and restarted the backend. So I assume
>>     mine is not the same issue? The only way I am getting mine to work
>>     is to log in as me, then open a terminal and just type
>>     "mythbackend" and leave the terminal window open. Not a major
>>     hardship I must admit, but would be nice to survive an power out.
>>

>> When you start mythbackend as a service presumably it's using a
>> startup script, which may be setting environment variable and maybe
>> mythbackend to run as a particular user.   Maybe you can see any
>> differences between those settings and your console settings?

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>To be honest I am now out of my comfort zone, and have no idea in
>Mythbuntu what scripts run myth. Have posted on the Ubuntu forums, but
>there does not seem to be anyone that has this issue, or knows of a
>solution.

In Mythbuntu 12.04, mythbackend is run by Upstart from here:

  /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf

The commands used to manually start and stop it are:

  start mythtv-backend
  stop mythtv-backend
  restart mythtv-backend

If you need to make the starting of mythbackend dependent on other
things than are specified in the "start on" line in that file, you can
add them.  I had to change my "start on" line to:

  start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=eth0 and
net-device-up IFACE=br0 and net-device-up IFACE=eth1 and started
udev-finish)

due to my network configuration.

I believe you can also just delay the starting of mythbackend by
adding a line like:

  sleep 10

(for 10 seconds delay) in the "pre-start script" section at the end,
or at the start of the "script" section.