[mythtv-users] tmdb grabber switch to v3

IsmoT ismot at telemail.fi
Sun Dec 1 08:10:03 UTC 2013

>  What is the advantage of MiniMyth over PXE boot?

For me it is "must" thing. I can manage whole system with one image file. Frontends boot from network without worries about disk failure, corrupted filesystem or unplanned system changes etc. Booting allways gets new, fresh image that works. So, frontend user has no way to hassle system. Also, I can't imagine myself to maintain all frontends os:es separately.

I wonder why there are no alternatives to minimyth because of it advantages? Or if there is I don't know about them. I remember that mythbuntu had some kind like this functionality, but does it exist anymore?

>  Updating MythTV should not require updating Zoneminder, and as I
>  understand it, Mythzoneminder will only run on one machine, the one
>  actually running Zoneminder, and that it is not a clustered
>  application like MythTV.

In theory it should be simple. Just put new mythzmserver to zoneminder server machine. But I am sure there are problems waiting me :( Last time I did big work, including compile right zoneminder version with shared memory access (which is not supported anymore if I am right, or I at least need to update zoneminder), and patch and compile mythzoneminder plugin to get right color space for my cams.

Updating mythtv for me is real big deal. Last time I did it "hardware way". I did build new server and installed new myth to it. Then I started to move frontends to it one by one. This way I avoided downtime. My system records about 20 shows per day (for kids and wife) and at least one frontend is at use all time. So downtime would be very frustating.. I would be dealing with angry wife and kids :/

If I throw new mythbackend to server, then I am at trouble if I can't get frontends to work. I don't know how to restore old mythbackend reliably. Maybe copying binaries and restoring db backup is enough?

I think that I must get a new hard disk for server os, clone system to it and then start installing to it. This way I can go back to old setup just with changing disk. But then I have problem with new/old recordings, they are stored to 10tb raid5 array. Ok, I believe findorphans.py can handle this.