[mythtv-users] mythfrontend with radeon driver

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Sat Aug 31 04:38:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013, glen wrote:

> how do you go about enabling the rtc timing method ?; using the wiki
> instructions mine showed another method but i could not find where it showed
> how to change the method; only how to make the settings for the rtc timing
> once it is in use.

I used these instructions to configure the RTC for high resolution timing:

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#hardware_timers

/dev/rtc0 is the device that mythfrontend used on my system. /dev/hpet
wasn't used so there was no need for me to configure it.

> on an amd e-350 i have vdpau working fairly well and there was a noticeable
> improvement under the latest kernel that offers the power management which
> allows the video chip to run faster. you need the 9.2 version of mesa and a
> kernel that has the uvd support for vdpau, the firmware files from amd, and
> the 3.11 kernel for the new power management features. i use ubuntu so the
> kernels are there in the drm next section.

Hey, this sounds very promising. I'll be looking forward to trying it.
Fedora 19 uses kernel 3.10 and Mesa 9.2 but it looks like Fedora 20 is
going to use kernel 3.11.

I've just tried out the VAAPI Normal playback profile. The video plays OK
but the deinterlacing is pretty ugly: lots of horizontal lines while the
video is in motion. I then went on and tried out High Quality again.
Apparently I hadn't tried it since I enabled RTC video timing: it looks
very good now. High Quality uses the Yadif deinterlacers. VDPAU locks up
mythfrontend just as before.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick