[mythtv-users] Hardware question

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 21:46:03 UTC 2013

On 8/30/13 4:10 PM, HP-mini wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 22:59 -0400, Captain Hook wrote:
>> This page has some helpful information on it:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
>>

>> I did find that the 210 will not run advanced 1x as shown. The highest
>> without choppiness is temporal 2x.
>>

>> On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Captain Hook wrote:
>>         Yes, that sounds accurate.
>>

>>         Previously I meant to say I ended up with a 210 and a 650, not
>>         a 610 like I typed.
>>
>>         On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
>>                 From my brief read, in between interruptions, the 610
>>                 was a relabel of the 520.
>>
>>                 On 8/29/13 8:42 PM, Captain Hook wrote:
>>
>>                 > In my quest for "Advanced 2x" deinterlacing, I
>>                 > remember some reason I did not choose the 610. The
>>                 > 210 would only go up to "Temporal 2x" which is still
>>                 > very good. I believe the 610 is some sort of
>>                 > rebranding of a previous model and many were not
>>                 > recommending it for some reason.
>>                 >
>>                 >
>>                 > I ended up with the 610 for my quiet frontend, 650
>>                 > for my "high end" front end (runs advanced 2x with
>>                 > ease but major overkill for a Linux HTPC).
>>                 >
>>                 >
>>                 >         http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187211
>>                 >         >
>>                 >         > And fanless, too, if you like that kind of
>>                 >         thing.
>>                 >         >
> The GTX650 & GT640 have the same core GPU but the 650 has GDDR5 ram
> (double speed).
> Both are the lowest spec Kepler available unless you have access to OEM
> parts.
> Both are PCIexpress(3) only.
> Both can decode 4K.
> There is a Zotac GT640 fanless half height.
>
> I think the (Zotac) GT640 is ideal.

Well, I have a list of specs now for any future PC builds here.  ;)
But, I'm limited on the hardware of this machine to either AGP or PCI,
looks like PCI is going to win this race with the 210 card I'm looking at.

Rather ironic how I relied on this same model dual xeon system at work a
handful of years ago, now it's simply serving up media for the house.
Oh well, it was either this system or the spare Dell 2850 in the
basement.  ;)