[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Aug 28 20:56:53 UTC 2013

On 28.08.2013 22:33, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>     If I understand it correctly using UTC or not is a decision that is
>     mostly made depending on presence of other (Windows) operating systems
>     dual-booting on the same hardware.
> I do have dual boot, so I should opt for RTC?

according to the other mail you can choose to set your hardware clock
chip to:
  * local wall clock time and add the conversion between UTC and local
    time to your MythTV shutdown script
  * UTC without any calculations on the linux side, but needs a registry
    hack for windows (see Chris' mail, this option is new to me)

> I don't get the option for S5, just 1,2,3, or auto, and terminal output
> says I can wake from S4...more confusion

S5 is what happens when you tell the computer to power off instead of
some kind of sleeping.

>       * your tuners support whichever power saving state you decide on (do
>         they need special fiddling to come back to working state?)
>
> Don't know how to do that

look for known issues with your selected hardware. Maybe on linuxtv or
search the internet for problems reported by others.

>       * MythTV likes whatever state you decide on. hint: full shutdown is
>         known to work well :-)
>
> Don't know how to do this either

follow bug reports and user discussion wrt hibernate etc. but plain old
turn off and on is known to work. I have no idea how the backend likes
it if the system time suddenly jumps ahead some hours/days.

I'd just try if the system comes back up when you set an alarm in
5 minutes and shut down. If that doesn't work disable the update of the
hwclock on shutdown, see the howto you referred to. And only if that
does not work start looking into the other options.

Regards,
Karl