[mythtv-users] One HDMI question from (Hijacked): HDMI sound issues

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Aug 28 20:38:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 19:58 +0200, Thomas Börkel wrote:

> Here are some example .asoundrc for output to multiple devices. I am
> using this, because I want to output MythTV sound to onboard analog
> and to HDMI at the same time.
>
> http://www.vivalv.de/Linux/Tipps/Allgemein#ALSA_Audioausgabe_auf_2_Ger.C3.A4te_gleichzeitig
>
> I am still no expert in this, but at least I got it working like I want.

Hmm.  That might do the job.  Looks like I'd have to do the 5.1 audio
decode in software on the Myth side instead of just passing it through
to the amp.  Wonder if there is a way to have Myth send multi-channel
audio to one alsa device and two channel to another....  I see config
options for PassThruDeviceOverride and PassThruOutputDevice, if those do
what they sound like they do I just might be in luck.  Looks like the
next weekend I don't have house full of grandkids I'll be tinkering.