[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Chris Porter hoodlum7 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:36:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Karl Dietz
<dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>wrote:

> On 28.08.2013 22:13, Chris Porter wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Karl Dietz
>> <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org <mailto:dekarl@**spaetfruehstuecken.org<dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>
>> >>

>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 28.08.2013 19:28, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>>         Greetings Mythizens, In the interest o reducing my carbon
>>         footprint I'm
>>         looking into the auto-wake/shutdown features, but I need some
>>         clarification. From this site:
>>         http://ghichepcanhan.com/2013/**__05/29/how-to-setup-**
>> automatic-__shutdown-and-**automatic-wakeup-__with-**mythtv/<http://ghichepcanhan.com/2013/__05/29/how-to-setup-automatic-__shutdown-and-automatic-wakeup-__with-mythtv/>
>>
>>         <http://ghichepcanhan.com/**2013/05/29/how-to-setup-**
>> automatic-shutdown-and-**automatic-wakeup-with-mythtv/<http://ghichepcanhan.com/2013/05/29/how-to-setup-automatic-shutdown-and-automatic-wakeup-with-mythtv/>
>> >

>>         which makes me think there is no UTC option and I must use rtc,
>>         further
>>

>>     If I understand it correctly using UTC or not is a decision that is
>>     mostly made depending on presence of other (Windows) operating systems
>>     dual-booting on the same hardware.
>>     Pro UTC: no hassle with DST etc
>>     Con UTC: hassle with dual boot
>>
>>     You will be using the Real Time Clock chip with UTC or local time.
>>

>> When using automatic shutdown and wakeup you are required to set your
>> hwclock to UTC. The time format used is stored in UTC time.
>>

> hmm, got a reference for that?
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**ACPI_Wakeup#BIOS_setup<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#BIOS_setup>says
>
> "If supported by your environment, set the time to UTC (Coordinated
>  Universal Time); UTC is the most desirable option because translation
>  to local time is not required and daylight saving time is
>  automatically handled. If UTC is not supported in your environment you
>  will need to recalculate the time before you write it to the RTC."
>
> which matches my prior knowledge (1st and 2nd hand)
>

> Regards,
> Karl

Yeah, the required part are my words. But, the phrase "If supported by your
environment" is miss leading. Linux has supported UTC for a long long time
and the BIOS RTC does not care. RTC will store any time you give it. Linux
and the time and date thrown around are all in UTC.
--
Working on World Domination since 2001