[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 19:09:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Captain Hook
<captainhookzero at gmail.com> wrote:

> The modem I am using was provided by Comcast.  I also use their phone
> service so their modem was required.  I am not sure if it is a DOCSIS 2 or 3
> and I cannot get into it from work as I am VPN'd in and don't know it's IP
> address.  I'll probably have to plug straight into it and get a DHCP address
> from it to determine if it has any status page with diagnostic info.

With rare exceptions, the "management" address for all cable modems
is 192.168.100.1 (and if properly configured, only available from the "inside"
interface).  While this is an RFC1918 address (which means not publically
routed) the packets as "magically" intercepted and redirected to the modem.
You can probably remotely use elinks from your inside linux box, but
since it is likely not relevant, it can wait.

After the modem downloads its config from the MSO it also gets a
management IP address (in theory only available from the cable side)
which is used to configure and poll the device for management purposes
(it is, among other things, how a MSO forces your modem to reload).

Gary