[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Captain Hook captainhookzero at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 01:21:51 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013, Chris Porter wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2013 5:13 PM, "Captain Hook" <captainhookzero at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That strength is without the booster. Here is more info on the booster
> if you're interested. Looks like the gain is 10.2-11 dB.
> http://www.motorolasolutions.com/web/Business/Products/Cable%20Broadband/RF%20Amplifiers/BDA100/_Documents/staticfile/BDA_Catalog_Specifications.pdf
> >
> > I will definitely take your advice. My plan is to move the HDHR around
> and see what the readings are in different areas.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > On Tuesday, August 27, 2013, Chris Porter wrote:

> push.  This issue occurs when there is only a single recording happening,
> if that makes any difference.

> port gigabit switch is just an unmanaged switch.  I have a Sonicwall
> firewall and a separate Meraki access point (also both connected to the
> switch).  My frontend has another switch connected (also a TrendNET), but
> that is upstairs.  For what it's worth, my brand new frontend does act
> laggy at times with fast forward and loading the recordings screen but this
> is fairly rare.

> Monster Cable splitter, Motorola 2 port signal booster, and a splitter I
> obtained from Comcast years ago.  All three exhibit this issue.

> with my HDHomeRun Prime with Comcast cablecard since the inception of this
> project. I am really remembering why I gave this HTPC nonsense up years
> ago, but I'm already significantly invested in this at this point and I am
> determined to see it through.

> will be perfect, others will have pixelation periodically, others will have
> heavy pixelation, yet others will be so bad that the recordings stop during
> playback. The same channel will not behave the same twice--sometimes things
> are fine, other times they are terrible. This seems to happen on any
> channel and do not occur at any particular time of the day or during any
> other operations or recordings on my network.

> Okay, so your signal strength is at a negative. If you amplify that you
> are amplifying a poor signal.  I suspect If you hooked the HDHR directly to
> your splitter #1 this value would be in the positive.
>
> FYI: a perfect reference signal is 0.0 dBmV. You want to keep your signal
> as close to the reference as possible. If you go too high you can get the
> same kind of problems. Most digital devices consider values between -12 and
> +16 dBmV as acceptable.
>
> If you do not feel comfortable replacing splitter #1 with your amp, then I
> believe you would get the most value placing the amp directly after it.
> Then run any additional splitters off the amp.

This makes perfect sense. I think I am going to put the amplifier in place
of the first splitter installed by Comcast. It is currently outside but I
can easily bring it inside.

Oddly enough my signal is now showing:
Signal Strength100% (-0.5 dBmV)Signal Quality100% (36.8 dB)
Which really seems to lend credibility to my "intermittent" description.