[mythtv-users] recent information for programming harmony remotes?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Aug 27 19:12:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 07:21 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> And from a link (http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/index.shtml) from
> that site:
>
>    You will need a Windows based computer, Macs and Linux based machines
>    are not supported at this time.
>
> That makes it a non-starter, for me at least.  The Windows license would
> be more expensive than the Harmony remote.

Old page.  RemoteMaster is a Java app that is now supported on all of
the usual Java targets.  I programmed mine entirely from Fedora Linux.
And yes, it can do darned near anything.  You can even make it do
'tricks'.  A long press on the function buttons powers up the components
required and flips all the inputs around, a long press of the power
button turns everuthing off.  I also have mine programmed to 'know' if
I'm in TV only mode or AV System mode and do the right things to make
sound work.  Myth goes through the receiver in hdmi passthough so it is
also available in 'tv only' mode when I don't want to fire up the
surround system.  It remaps the 'color' buttons for the multiple codes
needed by the different modes on my AV receiver.  And so on.

The only manual intervention required is to remember to turn the tv to
zero volume before pushing the button to go from tv only mode to AV
system mode because I can't find a discrete code to force the tv to
zero.