[mythtv-users] HDMI sound issues

Des Dougan des at douganconsulting.com
Tue Aug 27 05:25:58 UTC 2013

I've just moved from an old TV to a flat-screen model (a Samsung); I've got picture but no sound (over HDMI).

I've checked the digital audio how-to as far as I am able and have MythTV set to use the IEC device it sees, but with no sound.

I'm now extremely confused and would appreciate any assistance the list can provide.

My box is an old Acer Aspire desktop with an Azalia sound card on the motherboard; OS is OpenSUSE 11.4; TV Card is a Hauppauge 150; video is an nVidia GT220.

aplay -L reports:

# aplay -L
null
default:CARD=SIS966
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=SIS966,DEV=0
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SIS966,DEV=0
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Analog
surround41:CARD=SIS966,DEV=0
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Analog
surround50:CARD=SIS966,DEV=0
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Analog
surround51:CARD=SIS966,DEV=0
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Analog
surround71:CARD=SIS966,DEV=0
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Analog
iec958:CARD=SIS966,DEV=0
    HDA SIS966, ALC1200 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

aplay -l displays:

# aplay -l
card 0: SIS966 [HDA SIS966], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SIS966 [HDA SIS966], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Clearly, the nVidia card is being seen as having a sound interface, though the card itself has no sound output other than the HDMI port.

I've had both cards active in YaST and configured MythTV to use both the Azalia's IEC setting as well as the HDMI setting for the GT220 based on the various pieces of information I've found while researching this; however, no sound at all. I've also run mplayer and get no sound from there either, so it's not specifically a MythTV issue.

I'm not sure where to go next, and would appreciate assistance.

Thanks,

Des

--

Des Dougan