[mythtv-users] Western Digital Red for Myth

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat Aug 24 15:57:59 UTC 2013

At 10:49 AM -0400 8/24/13, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>... the RED drives are nothing more than a change in firmware and a
>longer warranty. Specifically, they enable TLER, so that if they're
>stalled trying to exhaustively recover data, they cancel the attempt
>before a hardware RAID array rejects them as faulted. If you're not
>running hardware RAID, there's really no point to getting "NAS
>friendly" drives.

So, what do you recommend?  Simply look for the cheapest cost per GB?
I'd pay a bit of a premium for drives that will last 5+ years.

BTW, the other thing I meant to mention was heat.  The Tom's review
points out that these drives run cooler by 4 degrees Celsius compared
to regular desktop drives.  (Which makes sense with the lower
rotation speed and reduced power consumption.)  Heat generally equals
reduced life.

Craig