[mythtv-users] COMPARATIVE TEST: Revo R3610 vs Revo R3700 vs Intel E8500 3.16 C2Duo

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Aug 24 05:12:53 UTC 2013

On 24/08/2013 4:05 p.m., Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM, tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz
> <mailto:tortise at paradise.net.nz>> wrote:
>
>     I compared the time to load 2230 recordings on screen using wired
>     Ethernet connected frontends, with slowest LAN bottlenecks of 100M
>     switches (or faster)
>     All 3 PC's are running 16GB Kingston SSD's, 2GB RAM, the Intel is
>     running an NVIDIA 8500GT and 10.04 Mythbuntu - the Revo's 10.10
>     Mythbuntu, all solely frontends.
>
>     Load speeds are respectively 10 seconds, 5 seconds and 2 seconds.
>
>     The subjective interpretation is respectively, an eternity, slow and
>     reasonably quick (but not instant)!
>     The R3700's CPU is not that much faster than the R3610's(maybe
>     115%), but is later technology (e.g. faster RAM and?) and is
>     significantly faster on this test than I would have predicted given
>     the modest CPU speed increase. Interestingly the heatsink in the
>     3700 is quite a step up from the 3610 to include a smart compact
>     heat pipe arrangement.
>
>     Obviously they all play back H264 1080i content much the same, but
>     the Intel will also playback live 1080i TV direct to VLC from an
>     HDHomerun independently, the revo's can only do this for SD
>     (Hardware decoding on VLC may be easier to implement in more recent
>     versions possibly overcoming this?)
>
>     This is testing the last of 0.23 fixes, so I do not know whether
>     this has been improved in the vast number of revisions since or
>     whether some sort of xmlhttprequest like behaviour has been
>     recruited to overcome this bottleneck of loading all the recording
>     data before displaying it...
>
>     I hope this is of interest, especially for people considering lower
>     power frontend options.
>
> You should see even better performance on this test in 0.26, as a result
> of
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/825182e48119190d821c053ac31fb93e8bc2ea19/mythtv ,
> which does most of the work in the background after the first page is
> loaded.  And you'll see even more dramatic differences when you look at
> the performance of loading the Previously Recorded screen.
>
> Jim

Wow, thanks Jim (and all Devs), I intend to upgrade, just need to find
the time and plan the steps....(I plan to create / implement a new
backend which complicates things) Yet another reason to do it sooner
than later - and to not yet throw out the "slower" ION R3610's! Thanks
again for the heads up and the input!