[mythtv-users] Myth 0.27 - mythvideo file browse mode sort order

Kevon mythtv at reidsresidence.com
Sat Aug 24 01:48:19 UTC 2013

On 08/23/2013 03:59 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:
>
>> On Aug 22, 2013, at 18:50, Kevon <mythtv at reidsresidence.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The sort order in mythvideo for file browse mode seemed to have changed
>>> between 0.26 and 0.27. 0.26 sorted files by title, however 0.27 sorts by
>>> filename. How can  I restore the sort order in file browse mode to be
>>> done by title. Code patch welcome.
>>
>> In "file browse" mode, the filename is the title, because it's nothing but
>> a dumb file browser.
>

> I think you may be confusing what you had setup in .26.  Are you sure
> you're not looking for "Show Directory Structure"?
>
> See this post by Mike Dean.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758
> I'm not sure this still applies in .27, but if you are just incorrectly
> remembering your setup from .26 this may help.
>

> Jeremy

I've been using file browser (now called "Browse Filesystem") with
metadata option ever since I started on Myth. I have created folder
structures to make it very easy to navigate my very, very large video
library. This option worked differently in 0.26 where the videos where
sorted by the metadata title and not the file name title.

Eg. If I have two videos with actual names tv_show_s01e01.mpg and
tv_show_user_mashup.mpg and the metadata for both are TV Show S01E01 and
TV Show S00E01 respectively, the "User Mashup" will always be at the top
of the video list in 0.26 since S00 occurs before S01. This is not the
same behaviour in 0.27, where TV Show S00E01 is at the bottom of the
list because it now sorts by the actual filename. If this is the
intended sorting then all I need is where to look to create a patch
revert this setting.

I share Mikes frustration with the other view options in Myth Video
because all the videos are lump together with no distinguishing
categorization. Browse Library (the recommended option) does not work as
expected with the "Show Directory Structure" option. It does not produce
the full directory path and gives only two root groupings, Television
and Movies. Under the Television grouping, all series are smashed
together in one never ending list of series titles.

Now my folder structure is setup as such:
/video/documentaries/<title>

Browsing the directories in file browse makes it a lot easier to find
videos base on our viewing habits.