[mythtv-users] OT(ish) - Roku as a Capture source?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 20:59:44 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> I don't know.  It sounds kludgey and fragile to me.

And, it also defeats at least one of the advantages of the
NHL GameCenter Live experiences, that one can watch
other games in real-time, and switch when necessary.
I know it can be heartbreaking when Edmonton is up
5-0 and it is only in the second period, but at least you
can switch to a game that has has a chance of being
competitive (are those "drop the gloves" words? :-)

> You could probably get it to work if you put enough
> time into it, but if it were me I'd likely just re-subscribe
> to cable/dish/whatever.  Maybe even Aereo.

Would not help in this case, since the individual does not live
in the greater Boston area, and (at least for now), Aereo will
only allow subscribers to local broadcasters.  So unless the
individual happens to have a credit card with a Boston
address, it will not work.

And since he does not live in the greater Boston area,
there will be few/no channels (especially in the South,
where hockey is not a widely admired game) that carry
all but the nationally broadcast games (which are few,
and fewer still will be the Bruins).

Gary