[mythtv-users] upgrade to low-power-consumption-system query

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Aug 22 18:44:35 UTC 2013

Due to impending changes by my cable provider--having to do with switching
current analog channels over to DTV--I've begun thinking about upgrading
my myth system, which is a combination FE/BE. Of my system's 3 capture
inputs, only one is digital-capable. This upgrade could also be a good
opportunity to implement a system with much lower power demands than the
desktop box I currently use. I'd like to make some inquiries of this list
relating to those factors.

First, let me state that I'm located in the US. Most programming I record
comes through an unencrypted cable TV connection: I get a "standard" cable
package included with the apartment where I live, and do not have enough
desire to get more channels to justify paying extra for things like a
set-top box or an expanded channel subscription: just the "free,"
unencrypted stuff suffices for my TV-viewing needs. Along those lines, I
recently set up a rabbit ear antenna in my apartment and hooked it to a
spare input on one of my current capture cards so I could record some OTA
DTV broadcasts as well. As mentioned, I have 3 inputs (two in one capture
card and one in a second capture card) in my current myth box: two are
devoted to the building's cable connection and the third to OTA
programming that I pick up through rabbit ears. I'd like to stick with 3
capture connections, btw.

I'd like to ask to begin with how feasible it might be to use a laptop to
replace my current myth desktop box? Laptops have very low power
consumption, and bottom-of-the-line models that are quite
reasonably-priced have better specs than my current myth box. I do
understand the drawbacks--namely, there are no expansion slots in which to
insert capture cards and hard drive space will be limited. I suppose video
quality could be a drawback as well, since these low-end laptops tend to
have crappy display hardware. I'm not sure that would present a problem
for me since I am not much of a video connoisseur and my display is only
capable of 720p anyway; so I'm not too concerned with the sub-par video
issue.

So, going the laptop route would necessitate acquiring either 3 USB
capture devices (like maybe the WinTV-HVR-950Q), or perhaps one such USB
capture device and an hdhomerun (e.g., the HDHomeRun HDHR-US). It would
also likely entail adding an external hard drive (again, via USB) so as to
increase storage space for rapidly-expanding HD broadcast recording. So,
this is one option for a low-power myth system--one that I might be able
to put together for around $400 USD, a price which fits my budget well.

Has anyone on this list tried using a laptop as a myth BE/FE like I'm
proposing to do? Any hidden pitfalls I may have overlooked? Also, what are
some other low-power options for running a myth box like the one I have?
Input on this topic will be appreciated.