[mythtv-users] Mac OSx frontend live TV issue.

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Aug 22 15:50:29 UTC 2013

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> says:
> MPEG2 hardware acceleration on mac was never an official API, it was
> only available when using the now obsoleted Quartz video framework and
> Carbon.

Sadly the "set to 32-bit in Get Info" trick doesn't work for me with
your frontend. Crash log attached from a late 2008 Core 2 Duo MacBook
Pro (MacBookPro5,1) running Mountain Lion.

> H264 hardware decoding was made official with the VDA Framework and
> introduced in OS X 10.6.2 (and only for some specific nvidia GPU at
> the time).
> Now all machines released since 2009 are supported by VDA.

You can extend that to "late 2008", at least in my case. I see 40%
user CPU usage, 30% system, and 30% idle when playing the
high-definition test clip in the Setup Wizard when using a profile
with VDA, versus 65-70%/30%/0-5% otherwise.