[mythtv-users] Ceton infinitv 6 Eth & mythtv?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Aug 22 15:42:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <
> gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Given you have a reproducer, you should be sure to open a ticket
>>  with Ceton so that they can fix the issue (and release updated
>> firmware).  Regardless of what any app (including MythTV)
>> sends, the device should not lock up requiring a power cycle.
>>
>> Gary
>

> I've opened ticket #RTA-667-54600 with Ceton about the issue.
>
> I have also patched my copy cetonstreamer.cpp so that it skips setting the
> frequency to 0 in TunerOff, and that seems to resolve the issue. Is there
> any impact to not setting the frequency? The device always shows as tuned,
> but other than that, it doesn't seem to hurt in my limited testing.
>
>      --Matt

I actually don't remember for sure why I did that. I think the reason might
have been at attempt at optimizing power/heat. As you say, when you set the
channel to zero, it still says it is tuned, and if I recall correctly, it
still reports a signal lock and a list of programs, correct? So I think I
must have figured that if it's doing all that, then it must be doing some
work to monitor the signal, parse the MPEG-TS packets, etc. Setting the
frequency to zero would turn it off completely, potentially saving power
and generating less heat. Never did any kind of testing, so I have no idea
if the savings are significant or negligible.

Curious...what does ceton's demo apps do when you are done watching? Do
they leave it tuned to a frequency, or do they zero it out too? Also, can
you reproduce this problem via manually changing settings in the web
interface?

But I'm glad to know that, with that one change, everything works just
fine. It confirms our suspicions that it would all be compatible. Now I
wonder if it's a bug in the firmware, or a defect in your particular unit.
And thanks for following through on this. I've been dying to know if it
works, but my 4-tuner model has been working great and serving all of our
needs, so I can't justify upgrading just to satisfy my curiosity.

--
Ron Frazier