[mythtv-users] Failing disk and imminent holiday - best move is...?

Rick Lane zinglefiffy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 13:49:34 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

First, thanks to all for their work on Myth. I recently went through some
hardware issues which meant my system was down for a week and my wife
finally admitted she *couldn't* live without it. Result! At least now
she'll put up with me at long as mythtv is around :)

On to the matter at hand. My media storage is split across a 1TB system
disk and a 2TB mostly-media disk. The 2TB disk is spitting errors out. I
don't think it's death is imminent, but having been through this before I
know time is of the essence if I want to get everything off it.

On Saturday I leave for a week and am happy that myth would usually do its
thing while I'm away without worry, but I want to minimise the potential
damage to the wonky disk. Most of my spare space (around 450GB) is actually
on the 1TB disk so it's occurred that I could unplug the sick disc while
I'm away, but I'm unsure how myth will react to 2/3rds of its local storage
disappearing for a week. The tv recording locations are all nested below
mount-points so I won't suffer root-drive-strangulation, but will it
merrily carry on and just use the space still available or is there any
other gotchyas that I haven't thought of?

Thanks
Rick