[mythtv-users] How do I restore a MythDora 0.25.3 database into Fedora 19 with MythTV 0.26.0?

Bob Shanteau rmshant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 05:29:58 UTC 2013

On 8/20/2013 11:38 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/20/2013 02:23 PM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
>> I am currently running MythDora, but it has been "retired for the
>> time being." I have upgraded my installation to MythTV 0.25.3 and am
>> interested in upgrading to MythTV 0.26 running on the current version
>> of Fedora to see if it resolves any of the bugs I am seeing now.
>> Rather than installing another prepackaged version of Linux and
>> MythTV (e.g., MythBuntu or LinHES), this time I wanted to install
>> MythTV on Fedora myself.
>>
>> I have been successful in following the instructions here to install
>> MythTV 0.26.0 on Fedora 19, except that I used the GUI Software
>> Install program instead of the command line:
>> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora>
>>
>> I am trying to follow the instructions in the MythTV Wiki on how to
>> restore a database but I am stuck on the following instruction
>> (replacing the actual location and filename):
>>
>> ---
>> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore>
>> Replacing an existing database
>>
>> If you are replacing an existing database with a known-good backup by
>> using a full restore--for example, because your database has been
>> corrupted or a database schema upgrade failed or you're replacing a
>> package-provided database with your "old" database after
>> re-installing your distro--you will need to drop the existing
>> database. You can do this by adding the --drop_database
>> --create_database arguments to the command-line.
>>
>> # [<- my error - should be $] mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
>> --create_database --location /home/mythtv/dorabackup --filename
>> mythconverg.sql.gz
>> ---
>>
>> Here is the message I get in return.
>>
>> ---
>> [root at localhost dorabackup]#  mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
>> --create_database --directory /storage/dorabackup --filename
>> mythconverg.sql.gz --verbose
>> ERROR: Unable to connect to database.
>> ---
>>
>> What do I need to do?
>
> You need a valid $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml file that lists database
> connection information.  Or, if you'd prefer to have it automatically
> created for you by mythtv-setup after you restore the database, create
> a $HOME/.mythtv/backuprc file that specifies:
>
> DBHostName=localhost
> DBName=mythconverg
> DBUserName=mythtv
> DBPassword=mythtv
>
> (but update values as required).  Then run the restore, then start up
> mythtv-setup and give it the database information and tell it to save
> the configuration, then verify everything works properly.
>
> Also, make sure the new MythTV host uses the exact same host name that
> the old host used or else you'll need to do a lot more work before
> your start up any MythTV programs.  For example, if your MythDora box
> was called "tvbox", make sure the new Fedora box is called
> [...]

All the values Michael listed for my backuprc file were correct. But it
was only after adding those lines to my backuprc file that I found my
mistake. The backup/restore instructions said to run
mythconverg_restore.pl on a command line, but it did not say whether to
do it while logged in as user or root. I guessed root but I was wrong.
It has to be run as user mythtv. Once I did that and updated a couple of
times, my database was restored.

Now I have another problem, but I will ask about that in a new thread.

Thanks.

Bob Shanteau