[mythtv-users] Assistance with digital audio configuration requested

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Aug 20 19:57:38 UTC 2013

>> > It's a 1/8" stereo patch cord from audio in on my TV going to the audio
>> > out
>> > (aka headphone jack) of my PC. But yeah, when I unplug it from the PC I
>> > get
>> > sound in windows (I assume through the HDMI) then I have to plug it back
>> > in
>> > to get sound in Ubuntu. I would rather stay with Ubuntu but if I have to
>> > switch (LG's blu-ray not supported in linux) it would be nice to have
>> > HDMI
>> > audio in both cases.
>>
>> Most likely you just need to change your default audio device in
>> Ubuntu to your video card's HDMI port.  I don't have an Ubuntu box in
>> front of me (just mythbuntu), but if you look in the audio
>> configuration panels, you should find something.  Assuming your system
>> has drivers for the video card's sound capabilities.
>
> I have two options in sound output, analog and digital, neither function
> with the patch cord unplugged and only the analog works with the cord in.
> There was a disk with the video card for windows. Any idea how I could find
> software for Ubuntu?

Typically, you will want to stick with the drivers available in the
Ubuntu repositories.  If your card has any vendor created drivers
available, you should find them in the "Additional Drivers" app.
Typically Ubuntu will inform you with a popup that vendor provided
drivers are available for your card.

While in most cases, the open source drivers are adequate... however
advanced features of the card are often only possible with the binary
drivers from the vendor.  For licensing reasons, most distros don't
install these by default.

What video card do you have?

It is also possible that the outputs your seeing are only showing one
of the cards.... you may have to do something to switch cards to see
the other device's outputs.