[mythtv-users] How do I restore a MythDora 0.25.3 database into Fedora 19 with MythTV 0.26.0?

Bob Shanteau rmshant at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 18:23:46 UTC 2013

I am currently running MythDora, but it has been "retired for the time
being." I have upgraded my installation to MythTV 0.25.3 and am
interested in upgrading to MythTV 0.26 running on the current version of
Fedora to see if it resolves any of the bugs I am seeing now. Rather
than installing another prepackaged version of Linux and MythTV (e.g.,
MythBuntu or LinHES), this time I wanted to install MythTV on Fedora myself.

I have been successful in following the instructions here to install
MythTV 0.26.0 on Fedora 19, except that I used the GUI Software Install
program instead of the command line:
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora>

I am trying to follow the instructions in the MythTV Wiki on how to
restore a database but I am stuck on the following instruction
(replacing the actual location and filename):

---
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore>
Replacing an existing database

If you are replacing an existing database with a known-good backup by
using a full restore--for example, because your database has been
corrupted or a database schema upgrade failed or you're replacing a
package-provided database with your "old" database after re-installing
your distro--you will need to drop the existing database. You can do
this by adding the --drop_database --create_database arguments to the
command-line.

# mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --location
/home/mythtv/dorabackup --filename mythconverg.sql.gz
---

Here is the message I get in return.

---
[root at localhost dorabackup]#  mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
--create_database --directory /storage/dorabackup --filename
mythconverg.sql.gz --verbose
Configuring environment:
   -    username: root
   -        HOME: /root
   - MYTHCONFDIR: /root/.mythtv

Parsing configuration files:
   - checking: /root/.mythtv/config.xml
   - checking: /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
   - checking: /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
   - checking: /usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
   - checking: /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
   - checking: /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
   - checking: mysql.txt
   - checking: /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
   - checking: /root/.mythtv/backuprc

Applying command-line arguments.

Checking configuration.

WARNING: DBName not specified. Using mythconverg

WARNING: DBHostName not specified.
          Assuming it is specified in the MySQL options file.

WARNING: DBUserName not specified.
          Assuming it is specified in the MySQL options file.

WARNING: DBPassword not specified.
          Assuming it is specified in the MySQL options file.

Database Information:
          DBHostName:
              DBPort: -1
          DBUserName:
          DBPassword:
              DBName: mythconverg
         DBSchemaVer:
   DBBackupDirectory: /storage/dorabackup
    DBBackupFilename: mythconverg.sql.gz
       drop_database: yes
     create_database: yes

Executables:
        mysql_client: mysql
          uncompress: gzip -d

Miscellaneous:
     partial_restore: no
    restore_xmltvids: no
     change_hostname: no

Checking database.

Preparing initial database.

Unable to connect to database.
            database: mythconverg
                host:
            username:
            password:

Please check your configuration files to verify the database connection
information is correct.  The files that are used to retrieve connection
information are prefixed with "parsing" in the "Parsing configuration
files" section of the --verbose output.

Also note that any [client] or [mysql] password specified in the MySQL
options file (/etc/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf) will take
precedence over
the password specified in the MythTV configuration files.

ERROR: Unable to connect to database.
---

What do I need to do?

Bob Shanteau