[mythtv-users] Permanently overriding aspect ratio for specific recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 20 13:30:12 UTC 2013

On 08/20/2013 05:00 AM, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> Hi again,
>
>     For a period, my set top box was spitting out to my hd-pvr in the
> wrong format (4:3 instead of 16:9). This was handled okay by the tv,
> but the recordings made during this time are all windowboxed and
> compressed horizontally.
>
> I know I can cycle through the aspect ratios for these recordinbgs at
> playback, and I also know how I can override the aspect globally, but
> haven't found out how to store the override persistently for the
> specific recordings.
>
> Can anyone help?

There's no support for this.  You can transcode the recording and crop
out the bars and scale the video, or you can fix it at playback.  MythTV
doesn't really support permanently "working around" broken videos.

Note, too, that it's possible--depending on how it's broken--that fixing
the videos may be as simple as changing the display aspect ratio in the
stream (i.e. may not require actually decoding/scaling/re-encoding the
video).  I don't know which tools are best to use to do this, though.

Then again, there's the approach of just allowing re-record and picking
up re-runs.

Mike