[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Aug 16 23:06:24 UTC 2013

On Aug 16, 2013, at 17:38, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> We've looked at doing ARM daily builds,
>> but there just isn't enough demand for them.
>
> Well the anti-ARM FUD on this list probably scares off many potential
> ARM users, and encourages the rest to keep quiet about their dark
> arts.

No one here is anti-ARM.  For low power uses, it's a wonderful core.  I actually have respect for it for such purposes, while I view the Atom as little more than a dirty hack.  The trouble is that MythTV has some intensive needs, and those needs are single threaded so just throwing more cores at it just won't do it.  The best ARMs are just now catching up with an ancient P4 in terms of single threaded performance.

ARMs, Atoms, and E-series Athlons simply cannot be recommended, and should only be used by experienced MythTV users who have a grasp on what they're needs will be, and can estimate on their own if a low performance processor such as those will meet them.  Such users don't need to turn to the mailing list for such information.

In other words, if you have to ask, it's probably not for you.