[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 20:14:00 UTC 2013

I see the anti-ARM crowd has already jumped in. Here's the reality: I use a
SheevaPlug (same ARM CPU as the Seagate mentioned earlier) for my Myth BE
and it works just fine. Reschedules take a little while, so if you schedule
a new show it doesn't show up in the Upcoming Recordings right away.
Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. I do not commflag or transcode however.

Performance is not an issue. The thing is shoveling bits from HDHR to a
hard drive and from the hard drive to a FE out on the network. If some
people get a kick out of using quad-core 3GHz CPUs to do 400MHz of work,
well, it's a free country. But don't tell me ARM is a downgrade because I
consider a big, noisy, hot, inefficient x86 box to be a downgrade in every
important way from my tiny, silent, cool, efficient ARM.